NEGATIVE EFFECT OF VEGAN KETOGENIC DIETS:
As we’ve mentioned above, there are numerous numbers of benefits in favor of a vegan ketogenic diet, but there are also several side effect to be aware of before hopping for it. In many cases, doctors may prescribe a ketogenic diet as a short term treatment for conditions like hypertension or chronic inflammation, type two diabetes, regulation of glucose. It is good to always consult your doctor before giving keto a go to make sure it’s the right nutritional plan for you. Its negative effects may include:
- Nutritional deficiencies: vegan keto is always high in fat, low in carbs which tends to limit a variety of health-boosting foods that are essential for your overall health. Getting rid of some categories of food groups such as legumes, beans whole grains, many fresh fruits, and many vegetables in some instances, is just too ridiculous.
No doubt that these sets of foods are healthy they carry vital minerals such as antioxidants, prebiotic fibre and many more nutritional values that can’t be gotten from another source.
- Constipation: Forcing yourself to have a bowel movement causes a lot of discomfort and puts stress on your body. This stress can lead to problems like hemorrhoids (whereby you have a swollen vein in your anus and at the lower rectum). One of the biggest health concerns with the ketogenic diet is the lack of carb-rich whole grain, fruits and starchy vegetable all of which contributes fibre to your diet. Many individuals who practice keto experience constipation and no one feel backed up about it. We recommend little of avocados highest-fibre low carb foods and endeavor to drink enough water and salt.
- Hair loss: hair loss is inevitable for individuals practicing keto, It is certainly uncommon among those that practice keto. Keto dieter is not only restricting carbs but they are also restricting calories too which makes them lose weight which is related to hair thinning and loss. Some other reasons for hair loss may include mineral deficiencies zinc and biotin in particular and unfriendly shifts in the microbiome due to the restrictive and high-fat nature of the diet. If you are considering vegan keto and you want to avoid hair loss you should ensure that you are not cutting calories or proteins too low, up your probiotics and endeavor to consult your physician about supplementing with zinc and biotin if necessary.
- Bad breath: During ketosis (a metabolic state characterized by raised levels of ketone bodies in the body tissues, which is typically pathological in conditions such as diabetes, or maybe the consequence of a diet that is very low in carbohydrates), the body breakdown fatty acids and create byproducts of fat-burning process known as ketones. It is best not to plan a first date or visitation when you are easing into ketosis. Recently bad breath has been one of the biggest complaints keto dieter and their partners have, some even complain of how their mouths taste metallic. Most times during ketosis your body utilizes many tactics like urinating or exhaling to get rid of the three common ketones which are acetoacetate, acetone, and beta-hydroxybutyrate. Once you excrete (urinate especially) or exhale these three forms of ketones bodies, they leave an offensive smells and that’s why individuals who practice vegan keto have halitosis (bad breath).
Note: When your body adapts to running on ketones, the side effect generally will begin to disappear. But until then you may need to always keep your toothbrush handy.
- Keto flu
Keto flu is nothing serious as it entails under-the-weather feeling, it simply when your body responds to switching over to using ketones as energy, its symptoms may include headaches, nausea, fatigue, upset stomach, vomit, insomnia. It happens also because the body has run out of sugar to burn for energy, therefore, using fat. That transition alone can leave one’s body drained and fatigued. It can be mitigated by increasing the fluids and electrolytes in one’s diet. You can also mitigate it by drinking lots of homemade broths for sodium, cooked spinach for potassium to get your electrolyte fix.
- Diarrhoea: Fiber plays a significant role in digestive health, it is also very essential for gut motility and functions. Diarrhoea in vegan keto occurs as a result of a lack of fibre. Individuals practicing keto cut way back on healthy carbohydrates and don’t supplement with other fiber-rich foods. To avoid diarrhea endeavor to pair fat with food and drink plenty of water.
- Increase rate of heart diseases: A high rate of cholesterols can increase one’s chances of having heart-related diseases. When there’s too much cholesterol in your blood, it builds up in the walls of the arteries, making the arteries become narrowed, which slows down the blood flow to the heart muscle. This can cause heart disease. It can be mitigated by eating a plant-based diet rich in fibre meals which will significantly lower cholesterol levels.
- Dehydration: this simply means when your body loses or removes water, it just as simple as saying you are dry (body system out of water). Individuals practicing keto diets drastically cut back on carbs are prone to dehydration issues. Dehydration occurs when your body starts to produce less insulin and glycogen stores in your muscles which also replicate in the liver, the kidney will then go from preserving water to discharging plenty of it. Important minerals like electrolytes are also discharged, which it loses can result in cardiac arrhythmia (non-standard beating of the heart)
- Severe loss of muscles: Proteins are generally known to be bodybuilding food, while carbohydrates help in the formation and maintenance of the muscle. The longer you practice vegan keto, the sooner you will start losing muscle tissues, the body system starts breaking down muscles when it is not propelled with carbohydrate. When the body system enters ketosis it immediately begins to eat away muscles and the heart is also a part of the muscle, It could lead to damages if no proper attention is given.
- Reduction in athletic performance: Going very low in carbohydrate while having a shoot up in fat is not always the best routine to improve one’s athletic performance. Carbohydrate is superior to no other classes of food when it comes to performance, being a keto dieter doesn’t fire you up enough for this high and superior performance. The proportion of energy your body can take out from carbohydrates is much more than the energy it can extract from fat. Therefore when fats are used as fuel, you are likely to be unable to access that energy quickly. For a practical example to explain better we can say fats are a humongous pool of energy and you can only drain with a little straw. Nevertheless, with carbohydrates, the pool is much smaller and you can drain it with a very big straw.
Aside from the negative effect (which can be mitigated in some instances) of vegan keto, there also little challenges a keto dieter may face too. This is nothing serious as it could only affect your formal lifestyle.
Are you looking for a writer for your ebook, kindly click on this link?